OUR HISTORY
January 23, 2019

Central Alberta Co-op is a unique organization in Central Alberta, owned and operated by individuals within our communities for over 50 years. The strength and loyalty of our member base ensures the Co-op's present stability and future growth.

From humble beginnings and roots that run deep, Central Alberta Co-op is proud of our longstanding involvement with the central Alberta communities we serve.

2017 - Eckville Co-operative Association Limited and Central Alberta Co-op Ltd. Amalgamate

Co-ops were built on the concept of working together to help serve their communities better. With the retail landscape continuing to be more complex, both Eckville and Central Alberta Co-op's Board of Directors entered into discussion regarding the possibility of a partnership in 2016. They saw that this partnership would be beneficial not only to the Co-op's themselves but also to the member/customers and the communities they serve. Effective, January 29th, 2017, the new Central Alberta Co-op Ltd. was formed.

2013 - Red Deer and Central Alberta Co-ops Amalgamate

In 2011, the Board of Directors, along with Management, again had a much larger vision of working together to not only strengthen their operations but also provide expanded service to members. In 2012, members voted unanimously to join Central Alberta Co-op Ltd with Red Deer Co-op Limited, to form the new Central Alberta Co-op Ltd.

2008 - Innisfail and Spruce View Co-ops Amalgamate

In 2008, after working closely together for almost 60 years, Innisfail and Spruce View Co-ops had a vision for the future of these two Co-ops, and amalgamated to form Central Alberta Co-op Ltd. Since that time, other facilities have been added or upgraded, fulfilling more member needs.

1939 - Spruce View Co-op

The Spruce View Co-op started in 1938 and was incorporated in 1939 as “The Corner Co-op”. In 1963, the name was changed to the Spruce View Co-operative Association. Being the only retail store in Spruce View, the Co-op has always been the hub of the community. With a very humble beginning of selling groceries and fuel, Spruce View Co-op now offers food, hardware, lumber and farm supplies.

1937 - Red Deer Co-op

In 1937, the charter was issued for Red Deer Consumers Co-op. In 1951, this Co-op was taken over by the Alberta Co-operative Wholesale Ltd., and then in 1956, assets were purchased, and the new Red Deer Co-op Limited was born, selling food, hardware and farm supplies. Over the years, more facilities were added, not only in Red Deer, but also Lacombe, Stettler and Elnora.

1934 - Innisfail Co-op

The first Co-op in this particular area was in Innisfail, when in 1934, a group of community members formed a central purchasing agency, naming it Innisfail & District Co-operative Association. The first sales were cases of fruit, and the store was a railway car. This Co-op was incorporated in November 1940. Innisfail Co-op has seen many changes and expansions over the years. They offer the community a wide variety of services, including food, hardware, farm supplies and fuel.

1912 - Eckville Co-op

In April of 1912, the Medicine Valley Estonian Society met to discuss the creation of a consumer co-operative. This meeting led to the formation of the Eckville and Gilby Co-operative Company. At the time, the price of bread was 5 cents per loaf and gasoline was 21 cents per gallon. In 1938, after many years of steadily increasing business, a new store was constructed in the Town of Eckville. The Eckville and Gilby Co-operative Company incorporated and became Eckville Co-operative Association Limited. After a devastating fire destroyed the feed mill in 1992, a new Agro Center was built and opened on the same site. The following year, a new Food Store was constructed at its present location. In 2010, a cardlock was added to their locations.